Responsible Use of Technology Agreement
Version: October 2021
The “acceptable behaviour” outlined in the Crofton House School Code of Conduct is the foundation for much of what defines "responsible use" of technology; however, the full Responsible Use of Technology Agreement extends beyond behaviour to attitudes and actions intended to create a safe and secure environment that includes the use of technology. Further, it outlines the conditions for the use of student issued technology and the practices in place at Crofton House School to protect the safety and security of members of the CHS community and the integrity of the CHS network.
Responsibility of the User
Using Crofton House School provided resources (including the network) and CHS owned devices (iPads, laptops, etc.) while on campus requires agreement with statements that define “responsible use”. Responsible use also extends to inappropriate and illegal activities that take place outside of the CHS network and/or off-campus. Irresponsible use has negative consequences for the user, other members of the community, and others beyond the School. Individuals who are aware of any irresponsible use are required to report this to a responsible adult or the CHS administration.
As with the Crofton House School Code of Conduct, some statements relate specifically to students while others are relevant to the whole community, including students, staff, and parents.
- I understand that my actions online impact me, those around me, and others across the world; therefore, I will be a safe, responsible, and respectful digital citizen.
- I will speak up to a person in authority when I witness or believe that a member of the community is demonstrating unacceptable behaviour and thereby negatively impacting a safe, caring and/or orderly school.
- During class and meetings, I will follow teachers’ guidelines for technology use, including when, and how it is to be used.
- I will refrain from using technology in spaces such as Manrell Hall and where there is an expectation of privacy, such as washrooms and change rooms.
- I will bring the CHS owned device daily and make sure it is charged for classes that require the use of technology (grade 6 – 12 students only).
- I will pause before I print to consider the necessity of printing and then, if necessary, print using double-sided and black ink as much as possible. Crofton House School reserves the right to charge my student account if it is determined that printing has been excessive.
- I will not take/use digital photographs, videos or audio recordings of people without their expressed consent. This includes the recording of teachers’ lessons and recording of remote learning lessons via Zoom or other software.
- When using a mobile device, I will be stationary (not moving). This is a habit that may save my life.
- When I’m in a remote learning environment, I will be online on time, dressed for learning, and be fully attentive to others.
- When connecting with others in real-time, I will be aware of what can be seen and heard around me.
- I will be trustworthy and use only the resources permitted, provide evidence of learning that belongs to me alone, and avoid shortcuts.
- I will not give my CHS email or computer network access passwords to anyone or use another’s password.
- I will not give out or put online personal/private information (such as my name, address, telephone number) that compromises my well-being, the well-being of others, or the security of the school community.
- I will use only my Crofton House School email for school-related email communications and for all others to use a private account.
- I will not respond to any messages that are objectionable or make me feel uncomfortable instead, I will inform a trusted adult immediately if I come across any information that is objectionable or that makes me feel uncomfortable.
- I will act in a manner that respects the privacy of others, including photographing or filming others without consent.
- I will ensure that devices that store or have access to CHS information (e.g. laptops, phones, tablets), are password protected with a secure password known only to me.
- I will maintain the safety of the group by keeping video conference invitations and password private.
- I will make sure that all settings on websites and apps are set appropriately to control my privacy.
- I will not distribute, share, or publish digital images, video or audio recordings of people by any means including email, social media, social networks, or websites without their permission.
- Before registering for an account with a social media site, I will do my best to understand what would be good about the site and what might go wrong.
- I will remember that at all times I am an ambassador of Crofton House School as outlined in the CHS Code of Conduct as acceptable behaviour, and all my online discussions and activities will reflect this.
- I am personally responsible for the content I publish on social media sites, including Instagram, Snapchat, Facebook, Twitter, TikTok, Reddit, LinkedIn, YouTube, blogs, Discord, and other social media.
- I will not "friend", "follow", or interact with any current CHS teacher or staff, unless the interaction is on a social media platform that is used solely for school-based purposes.
Care of CHS Owned / Student Issued Devices
- I will care for my student issued device, including keeping it in its school-provided protective case at all times.
- I will keep the device away from food, liquid, and other materials that may impact the condition or functioning of the device.
- I will not allow others the use of the CHS device that is issued to me.
- I will ensure that my student issued device is with me or locked in a secured location out of sight from others when it is outside of my home.
- I will make sure I have not left the device behind when leaving a car, the bus, or a classroom.
- I will immediately report any theft of a school-owned device to the police and the school, and provide a copy of the police report to the IT support team.
- I will immediately report any theft of a device that is used to access school information to the police and the IT support team.
- I will not submit, publish, transmit or willingly receive any defamatory, inaccurate, harassing, abusive, obscene, profane, sexually-oriented, threatening, offensive or illegal material.
- I will not knowingly introduce a computer virus or other malware into the Crofton House School network.
- I will not tamper with, or try to hack into, any CHS computer resource to gain inappropriate access.
- I will install only legally obtained software on my student issued device.
- I will not purposely, or through carelessness, damage any part of the school’s technology equipment or computer network.
- I will be responsible for any repercussions, which may include civil actions or criminal charges that may result from my online activities.
Crofton House School Practices
Practices are in place at Crofton House School to ensure the safety and security of members of our community and network security and integrity. The school reserves the right, without notice, to:
- Monitor, access, retrieve, download, copy, listen to, or delete anything stored in, created, received or sent on CHS’s computer networks, from devices connected to our network, using school-related software, or any other school equipment, without notice and without the permission of any user.
- Limit or restrict any individual's use, and to inspect, copy, remove, or delete any unauthorized use of this technology.
- Review any and all files, data and messages, without notice, to ensure that students are using the system responsibly at all times.
CHS makes no warranties of any kind, whether expressed or implied, for the monitoring of its network services. Access to any information obtained via the internet is at the user’s own risk. Crofton House School is not responsible for the accuracy or quality of information obtained through its network services.
Evidence of violations of the Crofton House School Responsible Use of Technology Agreement will be investigated by School directors (Junior or Senior School), in consultation with one or more of the following individuals: Assistant Directors (Junior or Senior School), IT Integration and Educational Technology Teacher (Junior School), Coordinator of Information Technology (Senior School), Director of Information Technology, and IT Support Staff. When warranted, School directors (Junior or Senior School) will identify disciplinary consequences for inappropriate behaviour. The CHS Code of Conduct outlines the actions and process the school will follow for ‘Unacceptable Behaviour’ including that related to a failure to uphold this agreement. It also outlines the process for appealing any disciplinary decision.
Conditions Regarding Use of CHS Owned / Student Issued Devices
In a one-to-one technology strategy, students in Grades 1 to 12 are issued devices that are owned by Crofton House School. There are a number of conditions associated with this program.
- The device is issued to the student. The student is the only authorized user of that device. Although she accepts responsibility for the care and use of the device, the device remains the sole property of CHS.
- The school-owned devices are insured; however, the insurance does not cover damage or loss due to a lack of care such as deliberate damage or destruction.
- When a repair is required due to a lack of care, the student and her family will be charged the cost of the repair.
- At CHS’s discretion, the student will be charged up to the $500 deductible if the student’s device needs to be replaced due to loss, theft, or damage.
- CHS is not responsible for damage to devices (outside existing warranties), loss of data, or service interruption.
- If the student’s device needs to be replaced, it will be replaced with a refurbished device. Temporary loaner devices will also be issued when required.
- Under no circumstances may any CHS owned software be transferred to any other device except under the direction of the Technology Department.
Crofton House 学校行为准则中概述的“可接受行为”是定义“负责任使用”信息技术的基础；然而，完整的《负责任地使用技术协议》从个体行为扩展到创造性技术使用在内的安全可靠网络环境的态度与行动。此外，它还概述了学生发布信息技术的条件以及 Crofton House 学校为保护 CHS 社区成员的安全和安保以及 CHS 网络的完整性而采取的措施。
在校园内使用 Crofton House School 提供的资源（包括网络）和 CHS 拥有的设备时需要同意“负责任使用”的声明。用户责任还扩展到发生在 CHS 网络之外和/或校外的不当和非法活动。不负责任的使用会产生深远的影响，发现任何不负责任使用的用户必须向负责任的成年人或 CHS 管理部门报告。
与 Crofton House 学校行为准则一样，有些声明专门针对学生，而另一些则与整个社区相关，包括学生、教职员工和家长。
- 我将避免在 Manrell Hall 等空间以及洗手间和更衣室等需要隐私的地方使用技术。
- 我将每天携带 CHS 拥有的设备，并确保需要使用技术的课程费（仅限 6-12 年级学生）。
- 我会在打印之前暂停以考虑打印的必要性，然后在必要时尽可能使用双面和黑色墨水打印。如果确定打印量过多，Crofton House School 保留向我的学生帐户收费的权利。
- 未经他人明确同意，我不会拍摄/使用他人的数码照片、视频或录音。这包括录制教师的课程，以及通过 Zoom 或其他软件录制远程学习课程。
- 我不会将我的 CHS 电子邮件或计算机网络访问密码提供给任何人或使用他人的密码。
- 我将仅使用我的 Crofton House School 电子邮件进行与学校相关的电子邮件通信，而对于所有其他人，则使用私人帐户。
- 我将确保存储或可以访问 CHS 信息的设备（例如笔记本电脑、手机、平板电脑）使用只有我知道的安全密码进行密码保护。
- 我会记得我一直是 Crofton House School 的形象大使，我所有的在线讨论和活动都将反映这一点。
- 我个人对我在社交媒体网站上发布的内容负责，包括 Instagram、Snapchat、Facebook、Twitter、TikTok、Reddit、LinkedIn、YouTube、博客和其他社交媒体。
- 我不会“加好友”、“关注”或与任何当前的 CHS 教师或工作人员互动，除非互动是在仅用于学校目的的社交媒体平台上进行的。
- 我不会允许其他人使用学校发给我的 CHS 设备。
- 我会立即向警方和学校报告学校自有设备被盗的情况，并向 IT 支持团队提供警方报告的副本。
- 我会立即向警方和 IT 支持团队报告任何用于访问学校信息的设备被盗的情况。
2. 我不会故意将计算机病毒或其他恶意软件引入 Crofton House School 网络。
3. 我不会篡改或试图侵入任何 CHS 计算机资源以获得不适当的访问权限。
Crofton House School措施与守则
Crofton House School 采取了一些措施，以确保我们社区成员的安全和网络安全和完整性。学校保留以下权利，恕不另行通知：
- 将对连接到我们网络的设备、使用学校相关软件或任何其他学校设备进行监控、访问、检索、下载、复制、收听或删除在 CHS 计算机网络上存储、创建、接收或发送的任何内容，恕不另行通知，并且不会经任何用户许可。
CHS 对其网络服务的监控不作任何明示或暗示的保证。访问通过互联网获得的任何信息风险由用户自行承担。 Crofton House School 不对通过其网络服务获得的信息的准确性或质量负责。
违反 Crofton House 学校责任使用技术协议的证据将由学校小学部或中学部分管校长与以下一名或多名人员协商进行调查：小学部或中学部分管校长助理，IT 教师（小学部）、信息技术协调员（中学部）、信息技术总监和 IT 支持人员。必要时，学校小学部或中学部分管校长将确定不当行为的纪律后果。 CHS 行为准则概述了学校将针对“不可接受的行为”采取的行动和流程，包括与未能遵守本协议有关的行为。
在一对一的技术教学策略中，1 到 12 年级的学生将获得由 Crofton House 学校分发的设备。有许多与此相关的条件：
- 设备发给学生。学生是该设备的唯一授权用户。尽管她对设备的保养和使用负有责任，但该设备仍然是 CHS 的专有财产。
- 如果学生的设备因丢失、被盗或损坏而需要更换，CHS 将酌情决定向学生收取最高 500 加元的免赔额。
- CHS 不对设备损坏（在现有保修范围之外）、数据丢失或服务中断负责。
- 在任何情况下，除非在技术部门的指导下，否则不得将任何 CHS 拥有的软件转移到任何其他设备上。