Responsible Use of Technology Agreement
The “acceptable behaviour” outlined in the Crofton House School Code of Conduct is the foundation for much of what defines ‘responsible use’ of technology; however, the full Responsible Use of Technology Agreement extends beyond behaviour to attitudes and actions intended to create a safe and secure environment that includes the use of technology. Further, it outlines the conditions for the use of student issued technology and the practices in place at Crofton House School to protect the safety and security of members of the CHS community and the integrity of the CHS network.
Responsibility of the User
Using Crofton House School provided resources (including the network) and CHS owned devices while on campus requires agreement with statements that define “responsible use”. Responsible use also extends to inappropriate and illegal activities that take place outside of the CHS network and/or off-campus. Irresponsible use has far-reaching implications. Individuals who are aware of any irresponsible use are required to report this to a responsible adult or the CHS administration.
As with the Crofton House School Code of Conduct, some statements relate specifically to students while others are relevant to the whole community, including students, staff, and parents.
- I understand that when I am online, I am participating in a network with a potential global reach. Therefore, I will be a safe, savvy, and respectful digital citizen.
- I will speak up to a person in authority when I witness or believe that a member of the community is demonstrating unacceptable behaviour and thereby negatively impacting a safe, caring and/or orderly school.
- During class and meetings, I will follow teachers’ guidelines for technology use, including when, and how it is to be used.
- I will refrain from using technology in spaces such as Manrell Hall and where there is an expectation of privacy, such as washrooms and change rooms.
- I will bring the CHS owned device daily and make sure it is charged for classes that require the use of technology (Grade 6 to 12 students only).
- I will pause before I print to consider the necessity of printing and then, if necessary, print using double-sided and black ink as much as possible. Crofton House School reserves the right to charge my student account if it is determined that printing has been excessive.
- I will not take/use digital photographs, videos or audio recordings of people without their expressed consent. This includes recording of teachers’ lessons.
- When using a mobile device, I will be stationary (not moving). This is a habit that may save my life.
- I will not give my CHS email or computer network access passwords to anyone or use another’s password.
- I will not share my personal information (such as my name, address, telephone number) or information about family or friends.
- I will use only my Crofton House School email for school-related email communications and for all others use a private account.
- I will not respond to any messages that are objectionable or make me feel uncomfortable instead, I will inform a trusted adult immediately if I come across any information that is objectionable or that makes me feel uncomfortable.
- I will act in a manner that respects the privacy of others, including photographing or filming others without consent.
- I will ensure that devices that store or have access to CHS information (e.g. laptops, phones, tablets), are password protected with a secure password known only to me.
- I will make sure that all settings on websites and apps are set appropriately to control my privacy.
- I will not distribute, share, or publish digital images, video or audio recordings of people by any means including email, social media, social networks, or websites without their permission.
- I will remember that at all times I am an ambassador of Crofton House School and all my online discussions and activities will reflect this.
- I am personally responsible for the content I publish on social media sites, including Instagram, Snapchat, Facebook, Twitter, TikTok, Reddit, LinkedIn, blogs, and other social media.
- I will not “friend”, “follow”, or interact with any current CHS teacher or staff, unless the interaction is on a social media platform that is used solely for school-based purposes.
Care of CHS Owned / Student Issued Devices
- I will care for my student issued devices, including keeping it in its school-provided protective case.
- I will keep the device away from food, liquid, and other materials that may impact the condition or functioning of the device.
- I will not allow others use of the CHS device that is issued to me.
- I will ensure that my student issued device is with me or locked in a secured location out of sight from others when it is outside of my home.
- I will make sure I have not left the device behind when leaving a car, the bus, or a classroom.
- I will immediately report any theft of a school owned device to the police and the school, and provide a copy of the police report to the IT support team.
- I will immediately report any theft of a device that is used to access school information to the police and the IT support team.
- I will not submit, publish, transmit or willingly receive any defamatory, inaccurate, harassing, abusive, obscene, profane, sexually-oriented, threatening, offensive or illegal material.
- I will not knowingly introduce a computer virus or other malware into the Crofton House School network.
- I will not tamper with, or try to hack into, any CHS computer resource to gain inappropriate access.
- I will install only legally obtained software on my student issued device.
- I will not purposely, or through carelessness, damage any part of the school’s technology equipment or computer network.
- I will be responsible for any repercussions, which may include civil actions or criminal charges that may result from my online activities.
Crofton House School Practices
Practices are in place at Crofton House School to ensure the safety and security of members of our community and network security and integrity. The school reserves the right, without notice, to:
- Monitor, access, retrieve, download, copy, listen to, or delete anything stored in, created, received or sent on CHS’s computer networks, from devices connected to our network, using school-related software, or any other school equipment, without notice and without the permission of any user.
- Limit or restrict any individual’s use, and to inspect, copy, remove, or delete any unauthorized use of this technology.
- Review any and all files, data and messages, without notice, to ensure that students are using the system responsibly at all times.
CHS makes no warranties of any kind, whether expressed or implied, for the monitoring of its network services. Access to any information obtained via the internet is at the user’s own risk. Crofton House School is not responsible for the accuracy or quality of information obtained through its network services.
Evidence of violations of the Crofton House School Responsible Use of Technology Agreement will be investigated by School directors (Junior or Senior School), in consultation with one or more of the following individuals: Assistant Directors (Junior or Senior School), IT Integration Teacher (Junior School), Coordinator of Information Technology (Senior School), Director of Information Technology, and IT Support Staff. When warranted, School directors (Junior or Senior School) will identify disciplinary consequences for inappropriate behaviour. The CHS Code of Conduct outlines the actions and process the school will follow for ‘Unacceptable Behaviour’ including that related to a failure to uphold this agreement.
Conditions Regarding Use of CHS Owned / Student Issued Devices
In a one-to-one technology strategy, students in Grades 3 to 12 are issued devices that are owned by Crofton House School. There are a number of conditions associated with this program.
- The device is issued to the student. The student is the only authorized user of that device. Although she accepts responsibility for the care and use of the device, the device remains the sole property of CHS.
- The school owned devices are insured; however, the insurance does not cover damage or loss due to a lack of care such as deliberate damage or destruction.
- When a repair is required due to a lack of care, the student and her family will be charged the cost of the repair.
- At CHS’s discretion, the student will be charged up to the $500 deductible if the student’s device needs to be replaced due to loss, theft, or damage.
- CHS is not responsible for damage to devices (outside existing warranties), loss of data, or service interruption.
- If the student’s device needs to be replaced, it will be replaced with a refurbished device. Temporary loaner devices will also be issued when required.
- Under no circumstances may any CHS owned software be transferred to any other device except under the direction of the Technology Department.