Students who prefer to stay behind the scenes have the opportunity to plan, design and build props and costumes for the Junior School Musical. Using a variety of materials, such as fabric, paint, wire and foam, students develop their creativity as they help to bring the show to life.
Creative Arts & Technology
Fostering creativity and personal expression
We offer an exciting variety of opportunities for students to express themselves and interpret the world around them through creative arts and design. From our enriched music, drama and arts opportunities to our innovative design technology classes, each girl is able to find the medium that allows her to share her creative energy. Through these experiences, girls develop confidence, flexibility, critical thinking and collaboration skills.
Students from Junior Kindergarten to Grade 7 experience curriculum-based arts, including dance, drama, visual art, and instrumental and vocal music. Guided by specialist teachers and instructors, each girl is celebrated for her unique interest. They take field trips to local art galleries and are inspired by visiting artists. In Middle School, girls are ready to take on greater performance responsibility, and all of our Grade 6 and 7 students are welcome to participate in our annual musical production.
Students can also choose to participate in various clubs and activities outside of the classroom that can further spark a passion for the arts. Young girls showcase their artistic talents through musical performances, printmaking, photography, and other fun and creative pursuits.
Junior School Opportunities:
- Middle School musical
- Instrumental music
- Primary and Intermediate Choir
- Clubs: Watercolour Wonders, Clay Creations, Photography, Make an Impression (Printmaking), Stagecraft (design and build props for the Middle School musical)
- Visual arts, including an Artist-in-Residence Program and field trips to the Vancouver Art Gallery and other local galleries
- Design thinking and creation in our makerspace
“I love opening up a new blank page in my sketchbook and letting my creativity flow onto the page as if it was like a stream of water running through rocks and pebbles.”
Jo ’25 | CHS Student
Senior School students experience curriculum-based arts and applied skills classes, including visual art, music, drama, textiles, graphic design, information and communications technology, food studies, computer programming and digital film. From Grade 10 to 12, students are encouraged to pursue their interests and passions through our extensive offering of arts electives and Advanced Placement courses.
Students can also choose to participate in various clubs and activities outside of the classroom and throughout the year – ranging from computer programming and robotics to pottery, improv and textiles.
From a choir trip to New York culminating in a performance at Carnegie Hall, to class trips to the Vancouver Film Festival, Crofton House School girls have the opportunity to develop themselves as creative thinkers and performers, and spark a lifelong appreciation for the arts.
Senior School Opportunities:
- Grade 8–9 annual production
- “Off-Broadway”: quality annual production (alternates between a play and a musical each year)
- VISTA One-Act Play Festival: Students work in small groups to self-direct and rehearse one-act plays, and two plays are selected to present at the annual festival
- House Play Festival: House Captains direct and rehearse fun, high-energy mini-productions for all interested students
- Protohack Challenge: Students work together to create and present innovative solutions using design thinking and technology
- Music ensembles, including choir, band and orchestra, stage band
- Annual film festival showcasing students’ work
- Clubs: Drama, Stage Band, Studio 65 (Art), Tech Booth, Video
“When you’re involved in the arts at Crofton House, it feels like your safe space. It feels like everyone is there to support you and you’re all trying to work towards one universal goal.”
Kristen ’19 | CHS Student
A year-end celebration of Senior School students’ accomplishments in film, food and fashion...Read More
Senior School students in ICT classes are currently concentrating on the topics of Virtual Reality (VR) and 3-D environments. Read More
Junior School girls work together with our design technician in the makerspace to create a moving vehicle out of the supplies provided.