Lately, the topic of sleep has surfaced as a significant area of reflection. It doesn’t matter the topic - anxiety in children, internet safety, academic achievement, homework, self-regulation, athletics - sleep always seems to be at the forefront of the conversation.
Supporting young girls at every stage of their development
In Grade 1 through 5, a strong emphasis is placed on fostering the foundational knowledge, curiosity and skills needed to become an excellent learner. Caring teachers work together to ensure that each girl builds on her understanding, and to help guide her growth as she moves through each grade.
Grade 1 students are welcomed into the bright building and caring community that will be their home away from home. Every aspect of our programs and facilities is created with the whole child in mind, from the thoughtful introduction of technology in the classroom, to progressively competitive athletic opportunities.
As girls grow, the enriched curriculum offers increasing opportunities for students to make connections between what they’re learning in class and the real world. Project-based learning, guest visitors, regular field trips, age-appropriate service learning and outdoor education trips ignite curiosity and a passion for learning. Crofton House Junior School girls are deeply engaged students who are ready for the exciting challenges that lie ahead.
“I like being in the atrium. Every assembly, I remember what Mrs. Hutchison has told us before and when I am there alone, I feel everything that makes Crofton House really Crofton House - the courage, creativity, citizenship, everything!”
Vanessa ’26 | CHS Student
While applications are accepted for all grades, our primary Junior School intake years are Junior Kindergarten, Senior Kindergarten and Grade 6 Learn more
The CHS difference
Our signature program, Ivy Compass, fosters personal growth, leadership and engaged citizenship through real-life experiences inside and outside of the classroom
Regular parent/teacher communication, volunteer opportunities, coffee mornings, parent evenings and other events
Small class sizes
Small classes led by caring teachers and specialists in art, design, drama, music, physical education and French
- BC-curriculum-based arts and music programs are enhanced with co-curricular activities, including primary and intermediate choir
- Public speaking opportunities
- Range of clubs and activities available, from cooking to debate, cross-country to basketball
- Learning resource support available to all students
- In Grade 1–5, iPad tablets support learning
- Technology is intentionally introduced with digital literacy and the impact of screen time on young children in mind
Starting in Grade 3, girls go on annual outdoor education trips to challenge themselves, connect with nature, and learn about sustainability and environmental stewardship
- Daily physical education and unstructured outdoor playtime
- Daily nutritious, hot lunch provided to all students through our Community Dining Program
- 8:20 am–3:20 pm (Grade 1–7), with supervision from 7:50 am to 3:50 pm
- Extended Care Program (7:30 am–8:00 am and 3:30 pm–5:30 pm) supports working parents who need an early drop-off or late pickup for their daughter
Congratulations to our team of Grade 4–5 students who came in as the best overall school in the 2018 ISABC Public Speaking Competition.
Grade 2 students clean out drains near the School as part of Ivy Compass activities.